Forum

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: goodbye… #15704
    tankertonian
    Participant

    Most of my friends say the same about my petrol FR. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve hit my head gettting in.

    Only yesterday, on holiday in Spain I needed to shift some stuff so hired a ST. Of course it didn’t have sports suspension so it was higher. But not enough to stop me hitting my head – and when we drove some friends to a restaurant they commented on how low it is!!

    Those sleek good looks come at a price – bruises.

    I’m going for an Ateca next, same engine but climb into it. Hopefully not such a bone-shaking ride, and no more zigzagging to avoid potholes and drains.

    in reply to: Spare wheel #15527
    tankertonian
    Participant

    I did some googling, to no avail. I can’t check my own car because I’m away but one thought. Is it possible that the standard spare is not 17″? It’s overall wheel+tyre diameter which is important and these spare wheels are designed not to be run for ‘normal’ motoring so have a different set of rules.

    So can someone on this forum with 17 wheels check what spare they have and its tyre size? It just might be a 16 with a fatter tyre,and they look to be readily available.

    If it does turn out to be a 17 then once you know the sizes you could buy that wheel from a Skoda dealer prob cheaper.

    Cheers.

    in reply to: Steering wheel stereo controls #15420
    tankertonian
    Participant

    FFS! That’s Fat Finger Syndrome. Hitting two buttons at once.

    Pressing the volume wheel inwards mutes the system. Are you sure you’re not doing that by accident at the same time as you press the track arrows?

    in reply to: Lots of road noise through rear of car. #15307
    tankertonian
    Participant

    Had a Leon ST FR 150 from new. Road noise so bad I wanted to change the car in the first week but the dealer said it was normal and if I didn’t like the noise I shouldn’t have bought a FR. (Not the best customer service I’ve had!) It does depend heavily on the road surface. On some it’s silent and on others conversation is impossible and we can’t even hear the radio. Great car, love it but the noise….
    It’s slightly better with a pound or so let out of the tyre pressures, but no more.

    in reply to: Variable Servicing #14762
    tankertonian
    Participant

    I had this at about 9000 miles. My service wasn’t far off so I called the dealer. He said that the warning is generated by a computer analysis of various factors and isn’t important unless your routine service is a long way away.

    My local dealer has closed and the supplying dealer was some way away (although I visit that town a lot). Knowing I would have to travel 20+ miles I found a dealer charging £108 for a first service. I thought that was a good price. Hollis Motors of Dover.

    in reply to: Gearbox issue #14435
    tankertonian
    Participant

    My petrol 150ACT FR ST has done 8000 miles and I don’t think I’ve once had any thoughts about the gearbox, so it must be OK. Having seen your post I was on a 100 mile round trip yesterday and decided to focus on the gears and they are fine; easy and fast to change, smooth and not notchy at all.

    I drive a lot of Spanish hire cars (some with 10Km on the clock and some with 100,000) and follow a tip I was given that’s served me well for years.

    When using an unfamiliar gearbox hold the gearstick knob with the tips of your fingers; if you just guide it into the gate it will find its own way in. (Sorry, this sounds like porn.) Quite soon you’ll learn where the exact entry point is.

    But if have the knob in a white knuckle grip, in the palm of your hand like holding a screwdriver, you are deciding where you think the gate ought to be and if you’re a couple of mm out you will be in the wrong place and trying to force the gears to go where they don’t want to go.

    Take it Gently Bentley!

    in reply to: Are all FRs this noisy inside? #13191
    tankertonian
    Participant

    My wife had had a new Ibiza on sports wheels (from that same dealership) about ten years ago and we sold it quickly because it was so noisy. So we were very sensitive about road noise in all SEATs.

    That dealer didn’t have a FR demonstrator so I drove a SE and it was very quiet.
    I drove a FR 184 at another dealer and it was fine.

    I’ve spoken to What Car and the Daily Telegraph who both had Leon ST on long term test. The Telegraph man said

    I had an FR for a couple of months before my current model. I didn’t mind the firm ride but I did find the cabin noise pretty extreme. Road roar was so loud on motorways it was almost impossible to use the hands free if I wanted the person on the other end to hear what I was saying.

    so it’s not just me.

    On handover the garage said I’d get a call from SEATcustomer services to ask if the car’s OK, so I’m looking forward to that.

    If my soundmeter app is accurate then the cabin noise is borderline ‘noisy environment’ and if it was a company car the boss would be legally obliged to monitor sound levels to ensure his employee’s hearing is not endangered – and consider providing ear protection!

    More soon, as it develops.

    in reply to: Folding Door Mirrors #13162
    tankertonian
    Participant

    I do a lot of driving along country lanes and find folding mirrors very handy. I initially thought I couldn’t operate them whilst driving (when I see an approaching vehicle) but I’m pleased to say I was wrong. Turning the switch from top right to top left (fold) position works – but turning from bottom left (left adjust) to top left (fold) doesn’t.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)