Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
andrewpain
Participantinteresting – hadn’t thought about polishing these!
March 11, 2015 at 3:56 pm in reply to: Hi all, I'm new to the forum, seeking opinions regarding the MK3 FR. #13367andrewpain
ParticipantHi
I bought a 184FR ST last year, 1st Seat, and have been very pleased.
I don’t floor the pedal at every opportunity, as I try to drive smoothly (to avoid complaints from SWMBO in passenger seat) but I do press on, and on runs regularly get 55+mpg, at 75+ on motorways; even trolling into town (8 miles each way on crap roads, it returns 48-53 average.
when I was ultra careful the first week I had it I did a 450 mile round trip to Blackburn and got 63, but I was being really careful with the revs.
From what I’ve seen on other forums, the 150 TDi doesn’t get many more MPG, because it needs more revs to get to speed, whereas the 184 has loads of power and torque.
Mine being an ST, it’s heavier than a 3 or 5 door, and the panoramic sunroof must add some weight as well.
Try them both. Bet you go for the 184:-)andrewpain
ParticipantI shall just take my 184 and crawl back into my cave…
andrewpain
Participantsomebody on here you should talk to – andrewjb.
has a 280 that’s now stage 2…!andrewpain
ParticipantI forgot the individual profile also allows some degree of control over aircon, so you could have the engine and suspension in sport, but the aircon in eco.
not tried that myself. Apparently any effect on the environment I generate from having anything set to Eco is more than offset by the horrible poisonous diesel particulates and NO2 the car emits.
although when I bought it I though a high-efficiency diesel was natures friend, but that’s SO last year……diesel is Satan’s juice now.how about andrew’s Stage 2 cupra? Porsche/Ferrari beater Q-car
mind you, all those roundabouts in Milton keynes will play merry hell with the tyres….andrewpain
Participantsound actuator is a gismo that pipes a simulated gruff engine note into the cabin when you adopt certain profiles in the “driver Profile” menu.
In my diesel FR I have Eco, Normal, Sport and individual to choose from.
Eco I never use.
Normal is pretty much what it says
Sport adds weight to the quite light steering, supposedly sharpens throttle response (but in a diesel how would you know?) changes the door LED strips s from white to red (quite sexy) and adds this irritating boy-racer engine noise.
Individual allows me to select which profile I want for steering (sport, please) engine (I like the red lights but not the engine note)
In a Cupra you can also harden up the suspension in sport mode.
And you will also have “Cupra” mode. Which is apparently quite wild….
you’re going to have loads of fun….andrewpain
ParticipantI’m in my first Seat – 184FR TDi ST, so a bit different to the Cupra…I belong to another forum, seatcupra, and almost without exception the guys love it.
Some don’t like the LED headlights and would prefer xenon’s, most hate the stop/start, especially with DSG; the sound actuator gets some stick (can be turned off within VCDS software if you buy that), and grip can be an issue with some tyres, especially in the wet.
Satnav comes in for some criticism too from some people, but there are always people who can find something to moan about.
Overall it’s a GREAT package, and good value. Much less common than the VW/Audi variants, and better looking. Also insurance seems to be less than these for some reason.
go to the site, sign up, and have a look round.
But the mod on here, andrewjb, has a Cupra 280 that he loves, and has already tweaked!
enjoy it when it arrives – get a test drive too!andrewpain
Participantoooh, a long wait:-(
in my first seat and I’ve been really impressed with it.
hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine…andrewpain
Participantyes, driving a diesel with high torque does make you lazy!
enjoy it when it comes…andrewpain
Participantmine’s a 63 plate, built Nov 13. Haven’t tried it as I didn’t think it would, but I know JUST the thing to try it out…..hope yours is all you want it to be. The FR ACT seems like a cracker. Going for 5-door or ST?
andrewpain
Participantgo to the Waiting Room forum, and see “spotted”…:-)
andrewpain
Participantthat’s really strange. I’ve found the hands free in mine to be far better than the old one in my 55 plate E Class. The voice controlled satnav works pretty well too – i set up an address in Portishead right first time last week…
those tyres must be to blame – the wind noise would be the same whatever the trim level, after all. My local (country) roads are utter crap, and my leon is quieter than my daughter’s Mk5 Golf GT TSi, except when ticking over, when it’s a bit tractor-ish. As you’d expect.
your dealer needs to get you a drive in something on different tyres. My cinturatos were good, and on the merc I used Michelin Primacy HPs for years, very quiet, till I swapped for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance which were even better.andrewpain
ParticipantI’ve got an Fr, albeit a 184 diesel, and I don’t think it’s noisy at all, either on the 17″ Nokian winters, or the Pirelli Cinturatos it came with (also 17s).
Tyres can make a huge difference, I know, but why not ask them to accompany you in yours and one of their demonstrators to compare?
the 150ACt should be quiter overall than my diesel – on other sites they’re praised for the quiet ride!andrewpain
ParticipantHayabusa, right?
got the essentials there. Sunroof is great as it lets a huge amount of light in. I find mine creaks when it’s really cold/frosty, but once it warms up it’s fine.
Sound System is really good too.
I got a manual as my wife won’t drive an auto – had a couple of bad experiences with a volvo 340 with the DAF Variomatic crap and it put her off. I Had a Merc E class for 8 years that she never once drove because it was an auto. I drove a manual one once and never again….
quite a lot of punch from that 1.6 makes it so easy to drive….
enjoy it, anyway:-)andrewpain
Participanthello from a fellow ST driver. Hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine…
-
AuthorPosts
